Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does bid in prescriptions mean?


Answer:
twice a day
Definition of bid (on prescription)bid (on prescription): Seen on a prescription, bid means twice (two times) a day. It is an abbreviation for "bis in die" which in Latin means twice a day. The abbreviation bid is sometimes written without a period either in lower-case letters as "bid" or in capital letters as "BID" or with periods as "b.i.d." However it is written, it is one of a number of hallowed abbreviations of Latin terms that have been traditionally used in prescriptions to specify the frequency with which medicines should be taken.Other examples include: * q.d. (qd or QD) is once a day; q.d. stands for "quaque die" (which means, in Latin, once a day). * t.i.d. (or tid or TID) is three times a day ; t.i.d. stands for "ter in die" (in Latin, 3 times a day). * q.i.d. (or qid or QID) is four times a day; q.i.d. stands for "quater in die" (in Latin, 4 times a day). * q_h: If a medicine is to be taken every so-many hours, it is written "q_h"; the "q" standing for "quaque" and the "h" indicating the number of hours. So, for example, "2 caps q4h" means "Take 2 capsules every 4 hours."
BID ... means 2 times a day. A Dr. once explained it to me.I forget how the codes came about. I just remember it by B= the 2nd letter in the alphabet so in my basic mind I say a=1 b=2 %26 the other parts bID I use in my mind
In a Day soo ....
B=2,
I = in a
D =day Hey with all the meds I take this is how my mind works to remember these things . guess what CID means? I hope this helps in rembering. Jen.
bid= twice a day, qid= every day

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net