Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does it feel like to be put under general anesthesia? Read on plz?

I am curious what it feels like right as your going out, is it like blacking out, fading away, etc... I am having anxiety over this and would like some answers from people who have experienced it!
Answer:
I've been under several times and for me it happens very quick. As soon as the IV is put in I fall asleep instantly. No fading out, no slowly falling asleep. Bam-1 second I'm talking to the nurse and then next thing I remember is waking up. I do get nauseous when I do come out of it. Never actually gotten sick, but for a couple hours you can feel queasy. It's a fairly common reaction and nothing to worry about. The anaethesiologist will go over all possible side effects and what you are likely to experience.
It is like falling asleep.
You won't really remember going out. It will be as if you fell asleep and woke up right away. You'll have no sense that several hours have just passed by. You wake up as if nothing had happened.When you are going out, it's like falling asleep.It's normal to be anxious over it. You will do great. Have a speedy recovery.
I had to be put under at the beginning of this year, I, too, had anxiety before it happened. You really don't feel anything, it feels like you're going into a deep sleep. You wake up and it's all done. It's not scary at all once it's done.
No sweetie it feels like you're going to sleep and when you wake up the procedure is all over and now it's time for recovery.
all i can say is:Nurse: Count down from 100 to 0
ME:Yes Nurse. 100...99...98....93.. (fades out)it doesnt feel bad, to me it felt like i was dreaming hehe
i have a friend who made it to 48 lol
Well, i have had surgery once, and i remember feeling how cold the room was, and i lifted my head to look at the Dr,.....then nothing!! There was no fading or anything. When they were wheeling me out in the hall afterwords, my family said that i was talking and moving my head side to side, but i remember nothing!
it is no reason to have anxiety over! :) i have undergone a few surgeries and things to my ears because the bone structure wasn't normal or something, near my eye when i had to get stitches, when i had lasar scar treatment, etc. it's nothing to worry about. they hook you up to an IV usually. they used to use a facemask but i think technology has gotten better since then. in my case, i started getting "slap happy" like people do normally when they're really tired and its like 5 in the morning or something. i started laughing a lot, and singing. for me it wasn't scary at all, it just feels like you're really tired and you're falling asleep.
Only did general anesthesia once for a hernia operation. Started out as a local (spinal) but I felt burning. So they gave me the general in the IV line.
I was fully awake one moment and then nothing until I woke up in my room. No fade--just gone/sleep.
Also, I received a good shot of Demerol which is a narcotic--I never felt better, happier or at peace than then--no wonder heroin is so addictive.
I was sick to my stomach a bit afterwards and I didn't feel like myself for a while. I think it takes the body some time to rid itself of the anesthesia.
Oh and they gave me percocet for the pain--I really like percocet! Very peaceful, soothing drug. Really relieved the pain.
In short, nothing to be afraid of with general anesthesia. Hope your procedure is quick, painless and effective!I will think of you. All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net