Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does it feel like to be put under general anesthesia? Read on plz?

I am curious what it feels like right as your going out, is it like blacking out, fading away, etc... I am having anxeity over this and would like some answers from people who have experienced it!
Answer:
Usually, you first get a shot (in the IV) of a drug like valium. Next, you feel a little fuzzy. Next, you wake up. Boom.It's kinda strange to think that you have NO memory of that time.
Theres nothing to worry about. Its like falling asleep really fast without trying at all. Very weird, but it's actually kind of cool.
like falling asleep fast- then wake up like you didn't miss anything, but you're a little disoriented or emotional.
Well, I can tell you when you're waking up, you may feel very nauseated and need to tell this to the anesthesiologist ahead of time. They can put anti-nausea medicine in your IV beforehand. (You probably don't want to be throwing up immedieately after surgery--not fun.)It feels like a very fast fading out... you may be talked to by the nurse and you try to answer questions... and that's the last thing you remember. Sometimes they ask you to count to 20 or something and you say, "Eight, nine, te." and the next thing you know, someone else is talking to you to wake up. Try not to worry.
It really just feels like your going to sleep. Sort of like when you had a long and just fell asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow. That's it!
I've had 9 surgeries. When they wheel you into the OR, first they give you something in the IV to relax you. This is a fun, happy, foggy feeling. Then the anesthesia is next. It's a real fast fade, like a second or so. Then you wake up in recovery. No problem.
I just got surgery yesterday, so I can tell you.
Your body starts to feel numb and light. You beging to shut your eyes and then you just black out.don't worry. It's bad at all. I was scared at first. The only disconfort you will feel, is the IV in your hand when you wake up.
Best sleep I've had in years. No worries, mate.
It's just like falling asleep.
Don't worry is easy to say!! Everyone has a fear of the unknown. I was petrified the first time I had surgery but what they do is give you something to calm you down while you wait for your Dr. to scrub in and by the time you get into the Operating Room it's sort of weird and fuzzy. If you still feel too awake tell a nurse and they will give you more to calm you down. I remember after one surgery I heard my name from what seemed like far away and it was my Dr. standing over me. I looked around and saw a clock and saw 3 hours had passed by. I asked him why he hadn't started yet and he informed me with a wink that everything was done and I would go to my room when my eyes stopped crossing. It's an amazing thing. Just have faith and you'll be fine. They will ask if you take any medications, be honest, that's very important. My son is a surgeon and my first surgery was an emerency C-section to have him. Guess it's all in the family! Good luck and if you have any questions fears or doubts speak to your doctor.
like all other answers it is not bad. i have had general anesthesia for minor tests to my surgeries either way i don't remember anything!! i too was freaked out.i was so nervous before 1 of my surgeries, i was shaking terribly so the nurse gave me something to relax me and when i got to OR i just remember bits and pieces.then i had the mask put over my mouth and started breathing and counting. the last i remember was my Dr saying " i will see you in a little" and i was out. the next thing i know i awoke nauseated some but to the Dr and my husband talking. i kept asking them off the wall things because i was still out of it,which my husband found some of the things i said and did hilarious while all groggy, but after a little it wears off. no biggy at all.same for if your just having a test and not surgery. so for me i would say it is like fading off then to blacking out but you don't realize either!! good luck =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net