Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does it feel like to be put under general anesthesia? Read on plz?

I am curious what it feels like right as your going out, is it like blacking out, fading away, etc... I am having anxiety over this and would like some answers from people who have experienced it!
Answer:
it's just like going to sleep, you count backwards but don't make it far, you will be fine..
I highly recommend a book called the "Patient's Guide to Anesthesia". It explains exactly what happens from your perspective and the doctors perspective and why it's happening and it did wonders to put me at ease before I had surgery. I got an IV and then got sleepy and that is the last thing I remember till I was with my mom leaving the hosptial after surgery and I think that is pretty typical. You'll be fine but if you can check out the book at the library I think you will be much more comfortable knowing in advance what is happening so you won't worry. Good luck.
It happens very quickly. One second you notice you are feeling a little funny and the next second you are out. Probably about 10 seconds all together.
I have had four major operations and for me going under general anesthesia is like going to sleep. The anesthesiologist will usually ask you to count down from 100 and the furthest that I can remember getting was about 95. Also if the operation is a major one they sometimes give you a sedative before the general so that you'll calm down. It's hard to put some one to sleep if they are upset and anxious.
It will be fine the worse side effect that I've had was that I was nauseous for a few days and couldn't eat anything solid. Don't worry you'll be fine and I'll say a prayer for you so that you can relax. Your state of mind will have a lot to do with how well and how quickly you'll recover.
Hi
Its a real nice feeling of drifting off to sleep; Some people are bothered by some of the noise and the 'hosptial' smell, but it is not a scarry experience;Take care
Pam
it's kind of cool actually but it only lasts a few seconds,then you're out. you can hear whats going on around you and you feel like you have no control.,which of course you don't, but it's not a bad thing. some people get a little freaked by the whole thing but, you just have to remember that it's the meds doing it. don't be anxious. it's no big deal.
I worked in the O.R. for 5 years and have seen people undergo this, and I have also had general anesthesia. Most people simply don't remember what happens close to the time they actually fall asleep, but there's nothing to worry about. You usually receive a sedative to relax you before you get the real anesthesia, and so you feel a bit drunk and maybe giddy. The general anesthesia kicks in real fast, basically knocks you out so fast you don't know what is going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net