Sunday, October 25, 2009

What do you do when your a diabetic, your hungry, but your sugars are to high?


Answer:
As the others have said you still need to eat but stick to protein not carbs as these will cause your levels to rise even more. If you are on insulin speak to your doctor about how to increase and decrease insulin as required. This gives you a little more flexibility (but don't use it as an excuse to eat whatever you want!)Exercise will also help to bring down your levels. Take it easy though cause it may cause a slight increase followed by a large drop. Make sure you have your glucometre on you so that you can keep an eye on your levels.
Take your insulin and eat protein.
Well first off your probably hungry beacuse your sugars are high.whenever my sugar levels are up Im ALWAYS hungry especially for carbs or sweet things...best advice is to get your sugars down %26 then more than likely your hunger will ease up tooIf though it is time for you to eat %26 your levels are high, if you are on insulin give yourself the proper dose to compensate for the elevated sugar %26 your dose for your meal. Dont skip meals just because your levels are high..if you are unsure how to adjust your dosage call your doctor he/she will be able to help you out
Eat some fruit or munch on some veggies.
These are natural sugars and include fiber which is good for you. Natural sugars are good sugars and okay to eat. Check out this website:
www.americandiabetesassociatio...
.com They have great food pyramid that is easy
to follow plus other important information.
Consume something with virtually no carbs like beef, chicken, or seafood. Have some cheese with a piece of ham. Hey, how about some nuts? Try unsalted walnuts or almonds. You could try 30-40 minutes of exercise. Just my 2 cents.
You didn't say if you were on oral medications or insulin.
The 1st thing below you could do, the 2nd you couldn't, unless you are on insulin.
One of two things:
The first is to eat something that I like that is all protein and very little starch.raw radishes, cold garbanzo beans with a dressing of a little balsamic or apple cider vinegar and olive oil (I can go through a whole can in one sitting). Or, stop at Burger King and get their garden salad (but use my own low-surgar dressing). There are foods that you like that are almost all protein and no sugar. If you have medical insurance, they pay for a consultant with a dietician who can steer you in the right direction.The second thing I do rarely, and is perhaps not as healthy, but sometimes, heck, you just have to have a plate of spaghetti (all starch!) when it hits you at 9:00 pm.
I look at the total carbohydrates on the side of the box per serving size, decide how many servings I'd need to fill me up, and estimate the amount of insulin units I need to take to metabolize that many carbohydrates. Then I take Humalog (the Lilly brand of fast-acting insulin) and eat the spaghetti and be done with it.
You can't make a habit of solution #2, because it will put weight on you if you do it alot.
I don't know, but I've been reading interesting things about taking cinnamon capsules to help fight insulin resistance/diabetes. Though not a diabetic, I've had a condition that is sometimes linked w/insulin resistance and I've been wondering about some things I've been going thru.
Anyways, I think cinnamon may make good reading.
Anytime I'm hungry my sugar is low.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do you © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net